What are Mavic Mini Neutral-Density (ND) Filters?
Mavic Mini ND Filters can help you to get better results on your drone videos and aerial photography when capturing drone footage in bright light conditions.
Neutral-Density Filters are one of the optical tricks that professional photographers use to get better results with their photographs without spending a lot of money to achieve it.
are designed to be totally neutral in color, cutting down the amount of light passing through the lens without changing the natural color of the resulting photographs, hence Neutral-Density.
Adding Mavic Mini ND filters may help you in the same way by being able to capture drone footage in brighter lighting conditions without over-exposing the results.
Best Mavic Mini ND Filters
Here is a list of the best ND filters for the Mavic Mini
1) Fstop Labs Mavic Mini ND Filters
- DJI Mavic MINI Lens Filters Accessories Set features sharp AGC glass made in Japan.
- Specifically built for the DJI Mavic MINI 2.7k Gimbal Video Camera
- Passes startup initialization sequence, can be left on when turning on the drone during startup.
- Includes 6 filters: ND4, ND4/CPL, ND8, ND8/CPL, ND16, ND16/CPL
- Sawtooth ridges to make them easy to install / uninstall.
2) Yuege Aerial Filters for DJI Mavic Mini
- ND4, ND8, ND16, ND32, ND4/PL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL, CPL, MCUV
- Polarizer Filter Set (MCUV+CPL+ND4+ND8, 4 PC)
3) Skyreat ND Filters Set for DJI Mavic Mini Accessories
- Filter specifically made for the DJI mavic mini Camera.
- Multi-coated glass for pristine optics,reduced lens flaring.
- Aircraft aluminum construction-lightweight gimbal safe design.
- Eliminates overly bright & washed-out images and enables longer exposures to capture the beauty of time and movement.
- Does not affect gimbal calibration! Include a small hard plastic case and 6-pack nd filters.
4) FREEWELL ND Filters Compatible with Mavic Mini Drone
- Razor-sharp optical glass has great optics, reduce reflections and glare effectively to improve the aerial shooting of DJI camera
- 16 Layers Multicoated optical glass lens filters reduce fingerprints, fog, water, and dust.
- Ultra-Light design with GIMBALSAFE technology for smooth calibration
- High quality unique designed for easy installation and removal.
- Freewell all day filter kit includes – ND4, ND8, ND16, CPL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL, ND32/PL and ND64/PL filters
How to fit ND filters to a DJI Mavic Mini?
If you are wondering how to fit ND filters on the Mavic Mini, follow the steps below.
- Hold the camera steady
- Put lens filter on camera
- Press down lightly
This is a simple and quick process. Most of the filters we have seen attach to the gimbal air vents.
The ND filters are very small and light-weight so need careful handling when you fix them to your aircraft.
Make sure your hands and work area are clean and dust-free.
Remove the filters from their protective packaging and make sure not to scratch them or drop them on the floor!
What is an ND Filter?
An ND filter is a special filter designed to reduce the amount of light that passes through it, which in turn reduces the amount of light that ends up on the camera’s sensor.
They are typically made from a darkened piece of glass (or resin) that is designed not to change anything other than the quantity of light that passes through it.
We expect most filters for the Mavic Mini to be made of resin to keep the weight to a minimum.
The color of the light or polarization of the light should not be affected.
What are the different types of ND Filters?
ND filters come in different strengths denotes as ND4, ND8, ND16, etc.
This is to give you options when flying your drone depending on the time of the day and the lighting situation you may need.
The higher the number of the ND, the more light-blocking power it provides.
More specifically, the numbers refers to their optical density or equivalently their f-Stop reduction.
|ND Number||Optical density||f-stop reduction|
Most photographers will be familiar with this for their camera lenses so ask a friend if you know someone into photography, they may have an example to show you in their camera kit bag.
You can also read more about ND filters here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral-density_filter
Camera Filter Acronyms
- ND = Neutral Density filters
- Reduce the amount of light getting into your camera sensor, allowing you to capture the desired natural effect.
- PL = Polarizing Lens filter
- Remove the unwanted glare from natural reflective surfaces, when shooting outdoors.
- Capture clearer images and video footage in bright sunny daylight conditions.
- UV = Ultra Violet (Light) filter
- Reduce some of the ultraviolet rays in the light
- You can use it anytime.
- CPL = Circular Polarizer Linear filter
- Reduce the glare from reflected surfaces
- Prevent unwanted glare from reflective surfaces, such as water bodies, snow or even glass windows
- Use during sunset or sunrise to increase color saturation
DJI Mavic Mini Accessories
One word of caution, the DJI Mavic Mini has been very carefully manufactured to be 249g, just under the 250g weight limit where drone registration is required under drone law in many countries. Adding after-market products may increase the weight to take your drone over this weight limit so weigh your drone if you add something extra. ND filters are very light so should not cause an issue.
Watch on YouTube[yotuwp type=”videos” id=”dHlW1UfV4GI” ]